When I started writing, I wrote short stories. I learned quickly I have too many words in me to stick to shorts and moved on to longer tales. I’ve been working on various novels for a long time but only recently gotten to the point that I have real time to dedicate to writing. The first novel I worked on was suspense. I would drift away from it fairly often to write out ideas that were constantly intruding. One day I realized that all the ideas that were taking me away from the novel were going to become fantasy stories. I shifted my focus and now mostly stay in the fantasy/sci-fi genre.
I have several projects in the works: A fantasy trilogy, my main WIP – involving a group quest, good vs. evil, weird magic, saving the world, etc; A middle grade fantasy about a fairy and her friends; A ghost tale; and a vigilante story.
I’m on a flash fiction kick at the moment as well. I’ve never really thought I was good at short stories, especially super shorts. I struggle to keep the word count down to reasonable amount. That’s a challenge to myself that I’ve taken up. I try to write some flash fiction once a week and I’m getting better at being concise. By the time I’m finished with this personal goal, I’ll have a collection to share with the world. Some of my rough drafts will be posted here.
Non-writing things to know about me:
- I despise broccoli.
- I love pens, boxes and dragons. I will never have enough of any of those things.
- I miss Dr. Pepper
- I enjoy rereading books. The best compliment I can give an author is to add their work to my reread list.
- My kindle is cool but I’ll never give up physical books.
- I love lists. If you read many of my posts you probably already knew this. Bullet points aren’t bad!
- Red is my favorite color. I should probably call it an obsession. I am a redhead and all my life I’ve avoided anything red because it looks horrid on me (silly right?). A few years ago I decided that I don’t have to wear it to enjoy it and I picked up some red canisters. This started an avalanche of red in my house. It was difficult but I resisted the urge to make this blog red.
- I don’t like shoes. I still get to be a woman though!
- If I could have anyone on the planet as a mentor I would choose Brandon Sanderson. This one is writing related, oops!
As for the title to my blog, I am a writer, but I don’t always write about writing. I do often ramble so the title suited me. This blog, at its core, is about my journey. It will evolve as I do.