When I started writing, I wrote short stories. I learned quickly I have too many words in me to stick to shorts and moved on to longer tales. I’ve been working on various novels for years but only recently gotten to the point that I have a lot of time to dedicate to writing. The first novel I worked on was suspense. I would drift away from it fairly often to write out ideas that were constantly intruding. One day I realized that all the ideas distracting me were for fantasy stories. I shifted my focus and now love writing fantasy.
I have several projects in the works: I’m presently concentrating on an urban fantasy series; A middle-grade fantasy about a fairy and her friends awaits my attention again, and many first drafts begging for revision.
I love flash fiction. I never thought I was good at short stories, especially super shorts. I struggle to keep the word count down to a reasonable amount. That’s a challenge to myself I took up. Now, I’ve written over one hundred pieces of flash fiction. Most of them I think are good, so challenge met!
Non-writing things to know about me:
- I despise broccoli.
- I love pens (all office supplies really), boxes and dragons. I will never have enough of any of those things.
- I miss mint. I developed an allergy to it.
- I enjoy rereading books. The best compliment I can give an author is to add their work to my reread list.
- My kindle is cool but I’ll never give up physical books.
- I love lists. If you read many of my posts you probably already knew this. Bullet points aren’t bad!
- Red is my favorite color. I should probably call it an obsession. I am a redhead and all my life I’ve avoided anything red because it looks horrid on me (silly right?). A few years ago I decided that I don’t have to wear it to enjoy it and I picked up some red canisters. This started an avalanche of red in my house. It was difficult but I resisted the urge to make this blog red.
- I talk too much. If you’ve ever read one of my posts you already know this.
- I don’t like shoes and only own a few pairs. I still get to be a woman though!
- If I could have anyone on the planet as a mentor I would choose Brandon Sanderson. This one is writing related, oops!
As for the title to my blog, I am a writer, but I don’t always write about writing. I do often ramble so the title suited me. This blog, at its core, is about my journey. It will evolve as I do.